Ghost Town

Yep, I saw another movie this weekend. What can I say about Ghost Town? Ummm...it was brilliant! Thank you Hollywood for finally giving us a witty movie with REAL people (and ghosts) in it. I'm diving in...spoilers will be typed in white....highlight if you want to know.Please tell me that you all have discovered Ricky Gervais already?!? This is the guy who created/starred in the origianal Office (British). He then went on to do Extras on HBO. The guy is just brilliant! You wouldn't expect to see him as the lead in a romantic comedy, but it really works. In a nutshell, he plays Bertum Pincus. A guy who dies (briefly) and when he comes back, he can see dead people...and they are everywhere.
Then there is Greg Kinnear. He plays a guy who dies. He hooks up with Pincus (guy who sees dead guys) to stop his widow from getting remarried. He delivered lines that made me spit out my soda (sorry to the guy sitting in front of me)! Through the whole movie, Kinnear calls Pincus, "Pink Ass". I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did. When Gervais relizes he is in love with Tea Leoni's character (Kinnear's widow), he backs out of the scheme to derail the marriage. Greg Kinnear says "awww, your little Grinchy heart has started beating, and you want to take it back to your cave and smash it with a rock." I could not stop laughing...Loved him!
Now, I don't know the actual deal with Tea Leoni, but I will tell you this. She was just wonderful in this movie. I might be naive here, but I don't think she is botoxing. Her face had lines...and it looked great. She looked like a real person. Her teeth were real, not veneers...and it looked great. Again, I have no idea if she is or is not into plastic surgery, but she looked real and fantastic. One couldn't help but love her in this role.
What was especially dynamic...the casting of the supporting roles. Kristen Wiig (SNL) is so funny I just can't do her justice. The scenes with her and Gervais are just priceless.
Go see Ghost Town. It's fast, witty, fun...and in the end, it makes you cry. What more can you ask from a movie...

16 comments

  1. i just watch him on the emmy's he is hysterical....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was wondering about this movie! i can't wait to see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just gave me something to do this weekend (though I may have to go sooner . . . ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to see that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Ricky Gervais is hysterical and can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reccommend. With kids, it is hard tog et out to a movie and when it happens you want it to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where have I been to have not heard of this??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, thanks! We just saw a preview last night and were all "Oooh, Ricky Gervais, f-ing brilliant! Now what the heck is that movie about???" Guess we might want to watch tv sometime without it on "mute".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to hear a good review on this flick. I don't go to movies often but was thinking this was one I'd make a point to see in the theatre. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I happened to catch Ricky Gervais on a morning news show on Friday, plugging the movie, and his low-key sense of humor was so hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh I haven't seen it and been trying to find a good movie to rent lately. :)

    Ricky was HILARIOUS last night! What a hoot!

    ~melody~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I'm going to have to go see it, maybe a GNO !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm going. he was absolutely, positively the only funny thing about the emmys

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw the preview and I thought "hey that's looks good". Couldn't tell if it was just the preview or an actual good movie. I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Went and saw it tonight - loved it! I loved Kinnear's nickname for Gervais and it made me crack up multiple times. Also, I forget how much I like Tea Leoni, and she did look great and APPROPRIATE in this movie. Unlike freaky plastic surgery Meg Ryan in 'The Women'.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top