THE Run Report

Where to start...where to start? Shall I start by saying that Mother Nature is a wicked b*tch, who obviously hates me? How about by saying the Racing Gods are evil rat b*stards who have it in for me? I'm at this point thinking both...
I'm just going to tell you my story, you just aren't going to believe the day I had. I get on the bus to take me up the mountain at 4am. I went to bed at 7:00 to get a full eight hours of sleep. I'm up, doing good:) I kid you not...I stepped off the bus, and the RAIN. CAME. DOWN! This was a brutal cold rain blowing right in my face. We were going to be running in the cold rain against the wind. "You can't be serious!?!" Yeah, I'm serious. First, I had to stand around in it for two hours...then, I got to run in it. Lucky me.
I was standing at the start, packed around my fellow runners, in the horrible weather, and everyone was hanging their heads and saying out loud "no personal best for me today". Way to bum me out:( I still went out intending to do the best I could...that's all I can do right?
Now, imagine yourself packed in a gymnasium with a ton of other folks. Turn on the sprinkler system, and a huge fan. Now, turn off the lights, and run. That is what the start was like...frightening! I couldn't see in front of me. I couldn't see my feet, or the road! Thank God I didn't hit any potholes!
The darkness lasted about 5 miles. The wind and rain in my face lasted the entire race! You see, if you are running a point to point marathon, and the wind is in your face at the start, you never turn. It never changes. Sadly, the wind actually picked up on the last 10 miles. Oh, did I mention it was so cold that I could see my breath? It was!
Any momentum I would have hoped to get by running the downhills was completely negated by the wind. Plus, it made the uphills downright torturous:( I kid you not, people were dropping around me. They were actually air lifting folks in a chopper to ambulances. Folks were going down around me. I felt like I was running in a war zone!
I saw Husband at mile 16. He said everyone looked like the "walking wounded". That was certainly how I felt. Wait...it gets worse...
Around mile 19, I couldn't feel my legs anymore. It was like running on an epidural (I could no longer control them). They were freezing. At mile 22, I started to feel like someone had put a belt around my chest and was tightening it. Something was definitely wrong. At mile 24, my breathing started to constrict. It felt like my throat was closing. Truth be told, I started to get scared...my body was shutting down:o
I ran/hobble/shuffled through the finish line. I passed a woman asking runners if they were OK. I took two steps and turned around and said "Excuse me...I think something is wrong...I can't breathe." She lead me to the medical tent. They hooked me up to machines to take my vitals, and a doctor asked for my symptoms. She then told me I was in the early stages of hypothermia! Holy crazy Batman, hypothermia! Then, someone dropped at the finish line and anther helper screamed "we need a medic and a gurney". The doctor ran off, and a kind nurse tended to me.
She put heating pads on my legs and my neck and wrapped me in a blanket. Soon, my body started shaking uncontrollably. I was a bit scared, and the doctor ran by me to tend to the unconscious man. She looked at me and said "this is normal...your body is trying to heat itself up...this is good".
Another poor girl was dragged into the medic tent...completely out of it. What a crazy scene! About twenty minutes later, I got up and hobbled out of the tent to find Husband. It took me forever to find him and I was still shivering out of control. I did finally find him, and he whisked me to the hotel and warmed me up...Yay Husband! I spent the afternoon in bed with McNuggets, Coke, and watching the Illini kick Michigan's a**. I would say that was the best part of my day:)
I don't even want to discuss my time...it sucked:( I heard the elite runners were about 20 minutes off their pace...that's HUGE! Husband, Dad and Mom all say I should be proud for finishing at all (Husband was so scared when he couldn't find me at the finish). I told Husband I am starting to wonder if Boston is ever going to happen for me. He says "it's good to have goals". He also says "don't make any decisions about the future of your running right now". I think that is good advice...'cause I crossed that finish line and vowed never to run again!
I'm really not sure what to learn from this? I did everything right. I trained like crazy! I am in crazy shape! No matter how much training you do, you can't control the weather on race day. Here's what I'm thinking for next time (what, there will be a next time?)...Next time, if I get to the start, and the weather sucks...I'm not going to run. I will hit the internet and find another marathon to run. Then, I am not wasting my shot on a race where there is no hope for a Boston qualifier. I can just extend my training for the next race. That's really all I can figure...Seriously, this was the single worst running experience I have ever had! I think I'll leave you with what Sissy said..."at least they can't take away your awesome abs...that makes it all worth it, right?" You know what Sissy...you're right;)

51 comments

  1. Well, shit, Cyn. That seems so wrong considering how hard you've trained. I think the positive is that since there were people dropping 16 miles in and you managed to go 10 more than them? You are a running badass. I'm so very proud of you for finishing. And, you deserve major coke and McNuggets. The shaking/extreme cold is really bizarre, though - I didn't think hypothermia set in that quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hells bells Cyn.

    You're still my hero. Seriously. You are amazing.

    Dude, hypothermia?! That is no joke. Wow, you are amazing. You deserve about 12 cokes, and 50 nuggets, not all at once of course :-)
    I'm so glad you're alright.

    Big hugs. Get tons of rest.

    You. are. a badass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the extreme cold for 4 hours for the race, and 2 hours before that...That is enough to do it. I think it was the wind with the rain that made it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Packed in a gymnasium with a ton of people, turning on the sprinkler system, and a huge fan, and then turning off the lights, and running? THAT ALONE SUCKS.

    BUT HYPOTHERMIA?!?!??!?

    HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

    I'm so glad it hit you at mile 22 and not mile 10!!!!

    good job finishing. I know you don't want to hear that....but hypothermia is a pretty big deal.

    BOSTON WIIIILLLLL HAPPEN FOR YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Candy...I knew NOTHING about hypothermia before this run. I looked it up online when I got back to the hotel...really scary. I will totally pay attention to this the next time I run in the rain (think I'll skip running in the rain if it's cold).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Geez. That totally sucks. Seriously. Sort of reminds me of the Chicago marathon last year - except the complete opposite.
    You will get to Boston - you and your awesome abs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what Cathy...it totally was the polar opposite of Chicago...and sucked just as bad...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad to hear you are OK. I've suffered both hypothermia and heat exhaustion (the latter was very close to heat stroke). They really suck and are extremely dangerous. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap. You are a better woman than I. I would have seen that rain and stayed in bed.

    As far as your time: who gives a hoot?...YOU FINISHED. With hypo-frigging-thermia, to boot!

    That is an accomplisment that nobody can ever take away from you. You can be proud of yourself because that, and YOU, are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, that doesn't sound like any fun. But I'm glad that you're through it, and okay, and warm.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awful!! I am sorry.. You WILL run again... you have to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, you ran 24 miles in wind, rain and cold. And you finished despite hypothermia. You didn't drop like so many did. Consider yourself one of the elite from now on. Conditions sucked, but good lands you can only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. *that last delete was me. Too much cussing . . . just kidding . . .

    I am truly ticked off at Mother Nature right now. What the heck???

    I know I shouldn't question her motives, but COME ON!!!

    You worked so hard for this! You know, there's a reason for this. There's just got to be.

    While we are all trying to figure it out, take care of yourself. REST. RELAX. Put the running shoes on standby . . .

    It'll all make sense after you THAW OUT.

    Damn.

    And woman. BIG HUGE PROPS to you for doing what so many of us could only dream to do . . . you're my idol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man.... what the heck?!? Stupid weather. I don't think you should give up though. One of these days you'll hit up a race and it'll be warm and slightly overcast with no wind, and you will blow the race out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i am so glad you are ok !!!! sorry it turned out this way....you need to apply for NYC one year, come stay with me in jersey and i will cheer you on and you will qualify i know it.

    i am up and going to get dressed for my half. no rain right now, but after hearing hypthermia i am putting a long sleeve shirt on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let me just say...we were on the other side of that Michigan Illinois game. Not so nice words coming out of our mouths watching pathetic error after error.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Geeze Louise! That sounds scary! I'm relieved you're ok. Your husband's right. Don't make any decisions about your future running right now. You just had quite an experience and probably can't possible think rationally about running right now. It's probably like coming out of labor and saying "let's do that again" -- not gonna happen. So just give it some time and keep running! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are awesome for finishing. I don't even like to walk to my car in the rain! ;)

    But seriously...know we are all proud of you woman!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dang! I love rain and all, but I wouldn't want to spend 6 hours in it.

    Still - you are my hero for doing this, and for finishing.

    I can not imagine how much hard work you have put in, only to have Mother Nature mess with you like that.

    But, I know that if you want to, you will reach your goal. Good luck, and you still inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. DANG girl. I'm glad you are ok... That sounds awful.

    And you've really encouraged me to take up running! Oh yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh My Goodness. I am sorry your race went so terribly. I thought about you all day Saturday. I think you havea good additude coming away from this experience. This was a huge disappointment but there will be next time. With your commitment there will be a next time too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Damn! That is just the suckiest of suckiness. I'm so sorry.
    BUT, thank God you are okay. You could have been seriously damaged from that kind of stress and weather. Insane.

    You should be EXTREMELY proud. I can't believe you finished in those circumstances. Seriously. You are amazing! A machine! With killer abs!!!

    The last marathon my hubby ran in was like that. It was supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny and it ended up being 34 degrees and pouring rain. All he had to wear was shorts and a sleeveless shirt. When he got to his car he turned the heaters on full blast and shook for the next couple of hours. When he got home he had a terrible fever. It was awful!!!!

    There is a marathon in Pasedena on November 16th. ?? The weather has GOT to be nice there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was following all along until I heard my alma mater kicked the Wolverines booty! I have been waiting for that day for years! I-L-L!

    ReplyDelete
  25. GIves new meaning to the phrase ``in the long run''.

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH NO!!! That really was terrible luck. Your husband is right. Don't make any decisions now because you have been awesome and so inspiring. Something good will come out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on finishing and your awesome abs. Sorry it was so brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Damn, that would make me want to stop running too! I can't believe you actually finished the race. You are so my hero! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't believe you finished! You rock sister! Maybe next time you should try Florida's disney marathon, Arizona or better yet La Jolla's rock&roll, or Hawaii those seem like safer climate situations, as well as perfect altitudes!

    Hypothermia is nothing to fool around with, my hubby spends plenty of time out on the mountains in winter (for work) and it's scary!

    You'll get to boston!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Screw the weather, you are unbelievable. Congratulations on finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just imagine how miserable you would have been if you hadn't trained so hard and hadn't been in the shape of your life. You could have ended up a lot worse off than with a little hypothermia.

    You. owned. that. race. Believe it or not, you did. Just finishing in those conditions is something to be HUGELY proud about.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on finishing the most grueling race ever. Anyone who trains, runs, and finishes any race should be proud no matter what. Way to Go!

    ReplyDelete
  33. No matter what, you are an incredible inspiration girl. You ran your heart out - and with a scare of hypothermia too! I think you are amazing and you make me want to do better. I am actually going running tonight. My first time. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are amazing and should be sp proud of yourself and those amazing abs for finishing.

    But, wow hypothermia?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Here from David's POTD...and you never know who or what you are going to find. Well, I found a super woman, and from someone who has never, ever ever done more than walk the dog or, at the worst, run for a bus, I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry to hear about the race. You did a great job finishing it though. It's a tremendous accomplishment in those conditions. Tell mother nature where she can stick it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow... what terrible conditions to run in. I am so sorry. YOU are awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am so sorry that you had that experience, I know how hard you were training for this, but I believe that Boston will happen for you. You should be so proud of yourself for sticking that race out, but I agree with you that next time if mother nature is being evil, turn around an go home! WTG I will think of you as my inspiration when I am running my dinky 10K in 3 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my Gawd girl! It ain't worth killing yo-amazing self.

    I agree with the new tatic - if the weather sucks that bad, save yourself! Good Lord. I'm glad you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would have TOTALLY eaten at least three ice cream sundaes after that. But that's just me.

    I am in complete awe of you right now. AMAZING that you did this, truly amazing. Congratulations and glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That's insane, what a crazy story. I can't believe you finished. Hypothermia? Craziness.

    Seriously I think it's totally amazing that you finished the race. Who cares about the time. Awesomeness for seeing it through.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh I am so sorry. What a freaking nightmare about the wind, rain and cold!

    You.are.an.animal. Seriously. You stuck it out to the end. Even with hypothermia!

    I am so proud of you for finishing. And you totally deserve coke and nuggets for at least a week!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your sister was right! You should be proud and with those wicked ab's you rock! I think you are inspiring.... I'm just saying at least for me...

    ReplyDelete
  44. holy crap...you are my new hero! great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Holy hell! That is crazy scary, but I think it is so cool and so amazing that you finished. There is no way you can be upset with your time, you did it when so many others didn't, in the absolute worst conditions. Amazing.

    I ran a 5K last weekend. Yeah, just a teeny tiny drop in the bucket compared to your feat. I run, and I have run them before, so no biggy. I occasionally get an inkling of a thought of training for a marathon. But I think you scared me too much.

    Congratulations!!! You should be incredibly INCREDIBLY proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hugs! I am so sorry it didn't go as planned. You are such a badass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. And you do this for fun? :)

    You're right -- you are in crazy shape, but hypothermia doesn't care. You poor thing. Just tell yourself after this experience, Boston can't possibly be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm with Damselfly. Fun???

    I'm so sorry. But so proud of you too! You rock hard.

    ReplyDelete
  49. What an utter bummer about the weather. I'm a horrible poop for not telling you earlier how amazed I am that you still ran - and finished nonetheless. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sorry this is so late in coming!! Congrats to you for finishing the race, what a crazy story... that's one for the books. Can I make a fartlek joke to make you feel better???

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top